Collective Humanity - Artisan Made Goods
Collective Humanity is a nonprofit organization founded to empower marginalized communities of women around the world to rise above poverty through education and dignified economic opportunities.
They partner with female artisan groups in Cambodia to help create demand for their products and help them generate sustainable, consistent, and dignified sources of income.
We got to shoot with the Collective Humanity crew for some of their latest products (the most beautiful blankets!!) and hear about the mission behind the non-profit. Here's some of the stats they shared that helped them decide Cambodia was the place for them to direct their energy toward:
FACTS & FIGURES
- It is estimated that 78% of Cambodian women cannot read a newspaper or write a simple letter.
- 72% of Cambodians live on less than $3/day.
- 70% of women work in vulnerable employment.
- 36.1% of children experience child labor and 31.4% of children receive inadequate care.
- Cambodia is ranked 14th in the world for modern slavery.
A DARK PAST: GENOCIDE
- From 1975 to 1979, an estimated 1.5 to 3 million Cambodian citizens were brutally murdered under the Khmer Rouge Regime.
- This accounts for 1/4 of the entire population of Cambodia.
- The Cambodian Genocide was the 3rd most deadly genocide in human history.